Tuesday 5 August 2008

Top 10 90s Songs

I would firstly like to point out that this is a retrospective list, because my pre-teen self of the 90s would have a much different list indeed (Wet Wet Wet would feature for a start… don’t judge me…).

I would secondly like to point out that the reason I didn’t say ‘Top 10 90s singles’ was that I may choose tracks that weren't released.

Let the games begin! Honk.

10. Fugees – Killing Me Softly (1996)



Because if you can do a song better than Roberta Flack, you deserve a mention. One time!!

9. Sixpence None The Richer – Kiss Me (1999)



I just makes me happy. I don’t know why. Just a sweet, 90s-ish song. “Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling…”

8. Savage Garden – To The Moon and Back (1996)



Ridiculously sentimental, catchy songs. That’s what you expect from Savage Garden. I quite like that this is song is sort of pre-emo. I could have put Truly madly Deeply here… but this is my favourite Savage Garden song. Freaky video.

7. No Doubt – Don’t Speak (1996)



Don’t even pretend that you don’t like this song because you do. Everyone does.

6. R.E.M – The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight (1992)



Not stereotypically ‘90s’ in my eye but I love R.E.M so they’ve got to join in. Mike Stipe is a genius, I like how he looks like that blokie from East 17 in this video it’s pretty funny. “Callmewhenyoutrytowakeherup.”

5. The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony (1997)



You’ve got to love this song. It’s not really a song you listen to, more like a song that’s just around and everyone agrees it’s amazing. I need to start listening to more Verve I think. Nice to see Richard Ashcroft looking like he should be in Eastenders.

4. Blur – Coffee & TV (1999)



The video gets them extra points… I freaking love that milk carton, and I don’t even drink milk. So do the lyrics, “Do you feel like a chain store? Practically floored.” Damon Albarn, possibly the king of 90s music. I’d also like to give Tender an honourable mention, because it probably is my favourite Blur song, but the video isn’t as fun so I’ll leave it out.

3. Annie Lennox – Walking On Broken Glass (1992)

Annie you slag why won’t you let me embed this video?! Oh well, here’s the link but it’s definitely worth a watch. If only to see Hugh Laurie and some jazzy dancing.

2. Pulp – Common People (1995)



If Damon Albarn’s the king of 90s music, Jarvis Cocker’s the princess. God I love that man. If I didn’t know better, I’d think he was gay. I’ve been watching 2:46-2:29 over and over again, and I’m now laughing so much I can’t type.

1. Spice Girls – Say You’ll Be There (1996)



Yeah! You knew it was coming. The Spice Girls, at their best. Of course they’re number 1… I know where my loyalties lie.


You know what? After all that I think they were all singles after all. Oh well

Now… let’s see your list!!

No comments: