Monday 18 August 2008

Tattoos

I've been noseying around (yes, it's a word) and I've found this website. It's basically a blog with pictures of people's 'literary tattoos' - so they might be quotes or song lyrics or lines from a book or poem.

Some of them are really nice, but some of them are just plain crap.

Leading on from this, I found this blog, 'Horrible Tattoos'. It definitely lives up to the name... and then some. These tattoos are hilariously shit, they really are.

This all god me thinking. I would consider getting a tattoo, I'm not against them at all, but I do believe that it's not something to be done on a whim. Tattoos have to have a deep, personal meaning, because they're going to be around for as long as you are. This is probably why quotes are so popular as tattoos - they mean a lot to a lot of people. That's why I put quotes on this blog, because one articulate sentence say and mean so much. I don't think I could choose just the one though.

Saying that, you'd probably be a bit pissed off when you meet the umpteenth other person to have a Sylvia Plath tattoo, but oh well. There's a reason why quotes are quoted.

So, perusing these blogs, I think I've got a good idea on what I see as a nice and a not nice tattoo. But I think I'll wait and see if something means enough to me that I feel the need to permanently etch it on to my body.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a garden chair tattooed to my leg now!

Sophie said...

I'm sure it would look beautiful.

Alternatively, maybe consider something in a deckchair or a bench for an interesting slant on the theme.