Sunday 24 August 2008

10 Songs That Are Far Too Sentimental To Be Taken Seriously

Another lovely list for you all, because I've been noticably more annoyed by sentimental songs lately. This time in ascending order, just to confuse, are my top 10 songs that are far too sentimental to be taken seriously... but that's not to say that I don't like them... except some of them I don't.

  1. She – Elvis Costello

Don’t get me wrong, I love this song, but really do men think that way? Call me sceptical but I think whoever it was that wrote this was quite high.

  1. Truly Madly Deeply – Savage Garden

Ridiculously idealised hyperbole that I can just about stomach as a nice song, so long as I don’t think about the lyrics too much.

  1. Nobody Does It Better – Carly Simon

Because we all know James Bond’s a dickhead.

  1. Hey There Delilah – Plain White Tees

Oh, poor you, you’re in New York and you’re in a famous band. Let’s write a song about how depressing it is. I’m going to try and not put too many emo songs on this list, because otherwise it would all be floppy-fringed attention-seeking skinny little bastards everywhere, and I’d like to save the room for some real music.

  1. Fix You – Coldplay

If there was a line of over-sentimentality Coldplay would be constantly teetering on it. ‘Fix You’ shamelessly bounded over that line so blatantly I’m surprised the video wasn’t of crying cats with no legs.

(Song by Coldplay that are lovely and sentimental, but not overly so: ‘Til Kingdom Come’ ‘Yellow’ ‘The Scientist’ ‘Swallowed In The Sea.’)

  1. Chasing Cars – Snow Patrol

I hated this song when it first came out, and I’ll hate it until I’m adequately convinced it’s not a pile of over-played whingey-mingey emo balls.

  1. Careless Whisper – George Michael

Points for good use of a saxophone, it’s a damn good song, but it’s sort of been over-done. Reminds me of having to slow-dance with my uncle at family weddings.

  1. Nothing Compares 2 U

The amount of times I’ve seen that ruddy bald woman crying into a camera…

  1. I Just Called To Say I Love You – Stevie Wonder

“Sentimental tacky crap” is how it was described in High Fidelity, and I’d pretty much agree with that. Stevie’s far too good for this, quite frankly, shiteous song.

  1. Pray – Take That

“All I do each night is pray, hoping that I’ll be a part of you again someday.” Really? All you do? Thankfully, soon Gary Barlow’s fingers will be so fat he’ll be unable to compose anymore of these shitty, shitty songs.

No comments: