Tuesday 18 May 2010

Smiling

Most of the time the regulars in my pub talk shit to me. I don’t mind: their minds have been eroded by years of alcoholism, along with their faces, manners, and sense of smell.

This shit talk is either funny, annoying, or perplexing depending on my mood and how incoherent they are. But the other day, I was having a bit of a stressful morning when I heard one of the old men singing to himself. He was singing, “When you’re smiling, when you’re smiling, the whole world smiles with you…” and it made me laugh nervously and walk away from him, of course. But - I couldn’t get the song out of my head all day.

So I kept singing it, and smiling. Then I got other people at the pub singing it – and they were all smiling. The day got a lot better after that, we had some jaffa cakes and a cup of tea, and I scraped the salmonella gunk out off the bar, whilst singing “when you’re smiling, when you’re smiling, the whole world smiles with you…”

No comments: