Thursday 31 July 2008

Knocked Up Review

Ok, so I was asked by Sarah after we'd just watched 'Knocked Up' whether or not I was going to do a review of it on my blog. I said 'maybe'. But according to my typing this right now I probably could have said 'yes'.

We watched Knocked Up yesterday. To be honest, we would have stopped watching it half way through if we didn't want to know whether or not the film was ironic. Turns out it wasn't particularly. I'm glad we finished watching it though.

To quote Katherine Heigl, “It paints the women as shrews, as humorless and uptight, and it paints the men as goofy, fun-loving guys." I agree with that, sort of. It is pretty much like that until about 3/4 of the way through the film, and then it gets about 20% less sexist, resulting in only a small feminist rant... I hope you're appreciating these precise statistics I'm providing you with, because they took a lot of calculating.

The characters are so badly developed it makes the film quite painful to watch at times. My favourite character I can't even remember the name of, but he's played by the blokie who's Mike in 'Friends'. The characters in general were inconsistent, stereotypical and downright annoying. Emily was right - she said if the main male character was played by someone like Jack Black then the film might have worked, because either somehow he would have made it so funny we wouldn't care, or he'd make the character likeable.

Basically, it's got some funny bits, some disgusting bits, some shockingly bad bits, some badly developed characters and some badly made vaginal prosthetics. But there's also some pictures of cute babies at the end, so it's not all bad.

3/10.

No comments: