Tuesday 15 July 2008

Classy Bird

I realised something today. I’m very lucky.

I’m very lucky to be born into the class and culture I was born into. I’m lucky that in my childhood I was provided with a good education, parents that took an interest, and adequate social skills. It’s these things that matter, because it’s these things that help you help yourself. I could be in a much worse position right now were I not equipped with them.

No matter what, I will always be middle class. That fact alone is enough to get you so far in life.

Although my parents are from working class families, they’ve worked up into middle class jobs (my mum, at least, is a teacher). The fact that I was provided with a good education meant that it was reasonably easy for me to get into university (was not easy to get into a good university, but that's a different kettle of tea) and so it will be easier for me to get a middle class job and the wonderful circle of yuppyism and elitism continues!

Yays!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the contrary, I've always been at odds with the fact that I'm middle class. I'm not sure why it is, but there are just many things about the English middle class that really aggravate me...

Actually, saying that there are more things that aggravate me about English lower and upper classes, if we can even segment them off anymore.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I'd rather just be Polish.

Sophie said...

Wouldn't we all! :D