Sunday 13 July 2008

How Annoying

Annoyance is annoying.

I have noticed that when we are annoyed by another person, it is sometimes because either:
  1. The annoying quality in that person is a quality that we possess, but dislike about ourselves
  2. The annoying quality in that person is a quality that we do not possess, but would like to have ourselves
But this rule doesn't follow all the time, obviously. Some things/people are just annoying.

I've just realised something that annoys me that doesn't follow these rules. When I'm talking to someone and they're trying to put their point across emphatically, so they use my name, e.g. "I don't think so, Sophie" "No, Sophie, I can't really" "You're a twat, Sophie."

Dubbleyew-Tee-Eff? No one uses people names!

Maybe to get someone's attention... or to refer to someone... or if you're quoting someone else... or trying to prove that you know their name... or trying to annoy them... but not when you're mid-conversation - that's just annoying. Cat quiche?

No comments: