Monday 6 October 2008

How To Get A Job - Part 1

I’ve had a fair few jobs in my time, and I’d like to share my words of wisdom on the matter.

If you want a job that is a full-time permanent position, I would suggest going to an agency that will sort you out good and proper.

Firstly, you’ll need a CV. If you haven’t already got a CV then shame on you, you ridiculous shoe, make one immediately! Gala Darling’s CV How-To is brilliant, and this website’s not too shabby either.

Obviously, your CV needs:
  • Your details: name, address, phone number, email etc.
  • Your work experience (most recent first- but you don’t have to put dates as long as it states how long you were there for)
  • Your qualifications
  • Any additional information or skills you may have
  • Two references
You will also need a cover letter for your CV, because your CV will feel naked without it and a naked CV is not only rather rude and inappropriate, but possibly illegal. A good cover letter should include:
  • Who you are (briefly)
  • What job you’re applying for
  • Where you saw the job advertised
  • Why you would be good at the job/What relevant experience you have
  • Any extra information that, quite frankly, isn’t any of your CV’s business!
It should be formal and make you sound brilliant, but not arrogant. It should also finish with something like, “Thank you for reviewing my application, I hope to hear from you soon” or “Thank you for taking the time to consider my application”. Something nice and polite, like. Try not to repeat things that are in your CV unless you’re trying to emphasise a point or something you think will be beneficial (“I have twenty Olympic gold medals” “I have a dog called Rasputin who can communicate with wheely bins”).

You can print it off on nice paper, or coloured paper if you so choose. I chose purple envelopes (naturally) and white paper to jazz things up a bit. The girl in Lush seemed very impressed, and I genuinely think it does make a difference, although it’s not entirely necessary. It really depends what type of job you’re looking for and what type of people you want to work with. Cool job/people = cool stationary.

Now it’s time for handing out these beautiful CVs… I’m afraid you’ll have to wait until Part 2 for that exciting venture!

No comments: