Friday 2 May 2008

Plug In, Zone Out

When I wake up in the morning: I roll out of bed, stumble around the kitchen until I somehow make a cup of tea and a sandwich, (I have mastered the art of doing this with my eyes closed) I automatically get dressed and put my make-up on.

Just as I’m gaining consciousness, I leave the house and plug in my iPod for the 30 minute walk to work.

When I get to work, I take out my iPod, and put my headset on. I listen to dodgy hold music. I listen to people bitching about me, scratching themselves and singing along to the dodgy hold music among other things that people don’t realise that we can hear when we put you on hold. Oh yes. The truth is out.

At work they track everything your computer does, they read your emails, they literally have you tagged (you can’t get anywhere in the building without a red card you must carry at all times – they use it to track what rooms people are in).

When I finish work, I take off my headset and I walk home again with my iPod on.

I get home, and I put my iPod on the dock and put the music on loudly while I wash up/make dinner.

Then we either watch TV or go on someone’s laptop.

This can’t be good. A very large percent of my day is spent not only with little synthetic bastards in my ears, but also listening to awful music, or plugged into some sort of machine. I feel far too dependant on technology (she says typing on a laptop…) and quite frankly smothered by it.

I say ‘smothered’, but I quite happily choose to live this way, and if I had any less technology in my life I wouldn’t be able to function as well: as proved by this post - and that's the sad truth.

I love you technology - all is forgiven!

No comments: