Friday 30 May 2008

5 Cover Versions Which I Love (and You Should Too!)

(Or not, whatever, I don’t really care…)

This list also includes a couple off Kirsty's list, which I left out but would have otherwise included. I originally had 10 songs, but I’ll keep it short and sweet like a sugar lump.


1. Heard it Through the Grapevine – The Slits (Marvin Gaye)

Not wanting to piss on Marvin Gaye’s parade, but I think this is better than the original. Girl Power!

2. All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)

Again, I think this is better than the original. Jimi Hendrix has as good as stolen this song – ‘nough said.

3. Walk on the Wild Side – Vanessa Paradis (Lou Reed)

No version will ever be better than Lou Reed, but Vanessa Paradis’ version is so completely different it doesn’t even matter. Lovely and French. Like a baguette. Manifique!

4. Blue Monday – Nouvelle Vague (New Order)

I could have chosen most of Nouvelle Vague’s songs – they had a whole album of New Wave covers. Another favourite of mine is their version of ‘Ever Fallen In Love’ by the Buzzcocks and 'Just Can't Get Enough' by Depeche Mode.

5. Red Red Wine – UB40 (Neil Diamond)

Oh yes my dears, it is a cover. Let’s just all pretend it’s not by Neil Diamond to spare our egos. “Reeeeed reeeeed waaaayyyyyiiinnnne…”

No comments: