Monday 19 November 2007

Live!

So, yesterday I said I thought Patrick Wolf was the best live gig I've ever been to. I stand by that statement, but I thought I'd go through some other amazing shows I've seen, and because of my new found love of lists (I blame Nick Hornby) I shall do it in list form...

The videos I've found are the actual ones I went to, which is pretty cool, but you just can't get the atmosphere from videos unfortunately, so you shall have to take my word for it.

5. Blink 182. OK, hear me out before you label me a pop-punk twat. This was the first gig I ever went to, and yes, the atmosphere was amazing. This is because it was at a time when everybody was obsessed with Blink 182, and everyone knew all the words. We also had front row seats... as if I'd be standing for my first gig!



4. Kate Nash. Because she's great. I wish I'd heard her album before I saw her at Electric Gardens, I think I would have appreciated it more then. She also did 'Skeleton Song' and 'Merry Happy' - she's like Lilly Allen after a good wash only with class, a better voice and, oh yes... talent.




3. The Horrors. They're damn cool at the best of times, but they were great live. It was quite a short set actually. Neil's Children were supporting them and they were just as good, if not better actually, so maybe they should be No 3 in my lovely list. You can't see a lot in this video, but then I couldn't see a lot at the gig so you get the right idea I suppose. I had the hugest bruise on my foot for weeks after this... but I deserved it, I mean what type of idiot wears ballet pumps to a standing gig?! Thanks Faris!




2. The Flaming Lips. This could quite easily be the best gig I've ever been to, but it was missing something that I can't quite pinpoint. Saying that, the atmosphere was incredible, someone had a seizure (not surprisingly). It was amazing, completely brilliant. There was confetti, giant balloons, dancing aliens/santas, lazers, smoke machines, megaphones, nun puppets, singalongs and a bohemian rhapsody encore - and Wayne Coyne is one of the best frontmen in the universe. Fact.




1. Patrick Wolf, of course! He ran around like a glittery little nymph for ages, climbing up the stage supports wearing a sequin waistcoat - what more could you ask for?! Oh, and also he jumped into the crowd a few times, and by into the crowd I mean on us. I was crushed by Mr. Wolf and the wave of screaming pre-teen girls that followed. I'd like to think I wasn't one of them, because I was infact trying to get away from him. I decided I'd rather be able to breathe than be smothered by Patrick Wolf. It was a close call, I'll admit, but I stand by my choice.

No comments: