Sunday 16 March 2008

Reading

I have just found my reading list for university, which I start in September, and it's looking pretty good.

The second part, 'Narrative and Culture' looks like the module I'll most enjoy, it's got a few books in there I've already read. Here it is:
  1. Robert Louis Stevenson - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

  2. Jane Austen - Sense and Sensibility

  3. Elizabeth Gaskell - Mary Barton

  4. Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

  5. Jean Rhys - Wild Sargasso Sea

  6. Virginia Woolf - To the Lighthouse

  7. Laurence Sterne - Tristram Shandy

  8. John Buchan - The Thirty-Nine Steps

  9. Bernard MacLaverty - Grace Notes

  10. Jeanette Winterson - Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
I'll admit there are a few in there I don't recognise, but you never know, they might be fantastic! Of course that's only a little part of the entire year, there's poetry, the early middle ages, critical theory and all that other good stuff. I'd better get reading. I'm thinking one book a week maybe if I'm very good, or one every fortnight seems more realistic when I'm working full time.

I can't wait to go to university. I can focus my energy on something I really want to be doing, and have enough free-time to not resent it. I will have time to write. I will work hard, but at something I want to be doing and that is relevant to my future. I will be able to gain knowledge instead of slowly losing it like I am in my current job, where intelligence seems to be leaking out of me like a badly plumbed toilet. Screw this, I'm getting a plumber in, and her name's Charlotte Bronte.

No comments: