Wednesday 19 March 2008

Rant & Reasons

I was cycling home from work yesterday at 8pm, having just worked a 11 hour day. It was cold and dark. I was pissed off.
As I wobble around the badly paved corner near my house, a haggard old crone gets out of her car. As she does, I hear her say, "I'm sure there's a cycle path she should be using!" To this I respond with a scowl.

Infact, there quite obviously wasn't a cycle path anywhere near where I was. These are the reasons I was cycling on the pavement:

  • I wanted to get home as quickly as possible.
  • It's cheaper than the bus.

  • It's a dodgy area, and there's less chance of being attacked when on a bike.

  • I had my warm coat on, as it was cold, and it's a dark colour so I'm not very visible.
  • Cars park on both sides of the road, I tend to wobble about a bit on my bike and I'd rather not hit anyone's car.
  • Car drive pretty fast down that residential road.

  • The streetlights in that area are very sparse.

  • There was no cycle path.

  • There was no one on the pavement.

  • I'd rather piss off a few pedantic people who haven't cycled since they could afford to pollute the planet daily in their own cars, than get hit by a car.

So there you go. That's why. Make it safer to cycle, and maybe I will use the roads, but until then: I pay my council tax, I'll cycle where I bloody well like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar problem, where I was cycling an this old lady got really angry at me for no reason. She was spouting a load of rubbish about me running over her cat, but I didn't see any cats before so she must have just been senile.

Ah well, that's how it goes I suppose.