Monday 30 June 2008

All-Time Top-Ten Favourite Albums

1. Lou Reed – Transformer

The first and only album I automatically thought of when asked the question “What is your favourite album?” so it only makes sense to put it as number one.

Favourite Track: Walk On The Wild Side

  1. The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

The best Beatles album in my opinion. I listen to it at least once a week and it will never get old because the songs mean too much. For some reason I always skip ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’, because to me it doesn’t seem to fit in with the rest of the album, so I listen to it on its own or with different songs.

Favourite Track: With A Little Help From My Friends

  1. Spice Girls – Spice

A 90s pop classic. Some people might not like them, but I bloody love them so that makes up for it. Feminism aside, the Spice Girls made music that was for us, not music critics, or middle aged balding music obsessed men, and that made it special. It’s music that makes people happy, and that’s all that matters.

Favourite Track: Say You’ll Be There

  1. David Bowie – Hunky Dory

It’s pretty much all good – from the album cover to Bowie’s scrawling on the track listings. ‘Oh! You Pretty Things’ is a brilliant song, too.

Favourite Track: Life On Mars?


  1. Coldplay – Parachutes

The original and still the best Coldplay album… although I did love X&Y.

Favourite Track: Shiver

  1. Moby – Play

Maybe it’s subliminal because I listened to this album on repeat while I was asleep for the majority of the way home from New York, but I think this album’s wonderful.

Favourite Track: Porcelain



  1. Madonna – The Immaculate Collection

Back in the days when Madonna was good. I believe everyone should own this album.

Favourite Track: Material Girl


  1. The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground & Nico

I’m not a huge Nico fan, but I love this album. The way she says “What a clown” in ‘Femme Fatale’ is fantastic. Lou Reed rocks, as always. I also like ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror’.

Favourite Track: I’m Waiting For The Man

  1. Talking Heads – Little Creatures

A jazzy (but not jazzy) album. David Byrne’s pretty much a genius. It’s got a bizarre album cover, and even more bizarre lyrics.

Favourite Track: And She Was

  1. Franz Ferdinand – Franz Ferdinand

I’ve listened to this album a ridiculous amount of times. I think it’s so good because you can either listen to it or have it as really good background music.

Favourite Track: Michael


Honourable mentions go to: Goldfrapp – Supernature, Patrick Wolf – The Magic Position, The Libertines – Up The Bracket, T.Rex – Electric Warrior, Radiohead – Pablo Honey, Robots In Disguise – Get Rid!, Abba – Arrival, Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill, Iggy Pop – Lust For Life, Kate Bush – Hounds of Love, Roxy Music – Roxy Music.

No comments: