Thursday 17 April 2008

37

I've always believed that you need to know what you want before you can get it. People complain about their lives, saying that things are lacking; but when you ask them what exactly - they can't answer. If 'you can't miss something you never had,' then why do they feel this way?

Because achievement is good (for want of a synonym). We've all felt the satisfaction of ticking items off a 'to do' list, so why not a 'to do' list that has a slightly longer time span than others? Why not indeed!

I've wanted to do this for a long time, but never got round to it. Here is my list of (37!) things I am aiming to do with my life, in no particular order:
  1. Get a degree
  2. Get a job I enjoy
  3. Make a giant gingerbread house
  4. Learn to speak another language fluently
  5. Be financially secure
  6. Slap someone 'round the face
  7. Travel
  8. Have children
  9. Eat Chinese food on Christmas Day
  10. Change someone's life for the better
  11. Leave the house with no make-up on
  12. Write a book
  13. Get a cat/dog
  14. Tell my family I love them
  15. Go to another festival
  16. Go interrailing
  17. Spend all day in bed
  18. Take part in a protest about something I care about
  19. Complete a dissertation
  20. Go scuba-diving (properly this time)
  21. Give someone advice that isn't completely stupid
  22. Take someone's advice to heart
  23. Not sleep for 48 hours
  24. Dye my hair purple
  25. Own a leopard print coat
  26. Scream profanities in a public place (such as a library)
  27. Complete a photo album
  28. See Machu Pichu and the Terra Cotta Army
  29. Smash a plate
  30. Turn up somewhere in fancy dress where it wasn't expected
  31. Learn to play the guitar better
  32. Pass down the family jewellery
  33. Be proud of myself
  34. Stay in love
  35. Build a fort out of blankets when there's a thunder storm
  36. Learn how to make cocktails
  37. Tell people what I admire/dislike/love about them
The whole thing will certainly be changed as and when the mood takes me, though there are a few that are non-negotiable.

As lovely as it is, knowing what you're going to do with your life, it's also nice to not know what's going to happen. Our chief weapon is surprise - surprise and fear! And a ruthless efficiency. So while it's always a good idea to stick to the path, it's also fun to wander off into the woods... as long as there's no goblins in there.

Your challenge, my fine feathered blogging friends, is to write up a list of your own! It's only slightly overwhelming, I promise. Just write whatever you think of first: it could be something silly you just want to try out or it could be an ambition from when you were but a teensy foetus!
Your list will always change as you go along, because so will you - nothing's ever set in stone - and isn't that a wonderful thought? Watch out for those goblins.

No comments: