Saturday 23 February 2008

I Love You, but You Love Meat

The New York Times recently featured this article about the effects of different diets in relationships. (Yes, I did have an immature little giggle over the dodgy title).

This is just yet more proof to me that some people are over-fussy idiots. I'm vegetarian, and I used to be vegan, I never had the issues some of these people have.

That's not to say that their issues aren't valid. If you're vegetarian/vegan I think it goes without saying that you wouldn't want your food to have touched meat. Similarly, if you have a diet based on religious views of course it's fair enough to use separate utensils/pans. But to make unrealistic, overly-fussy and unnecessary requests purely because the person is a 'picky eater' is just ridiculous.

I've heard of vegetarians not eating food that's been on the same shelf in the fridge as meat. This is stupid, and in turn these vegetarians are equally stupid. They give us all a bad name (just like PETA, but I shan't go into that now). If it's unacceptable to impose religious beliefs on someone, surely it's unacceptable to impose ethical beliefs, and call me odd but it just doesn't make sense to me to tell other people what they should eat.

Diets are a personal thing, I'm an incredibly fussy eater, and I've lived with meat-eaters all my life but it's never been an issue.

If I cook I make vegetarian food. If other people want to add meat to it, that's fine, it would probably be better with meat in it anyway: but I'll never understand why people make being vegetarian such a big deal.

And as for those self-richeous wankers that think be not eating meat makes them better than everyone else - I'll tell them where they can shove their tofu.

I'm better than everyone else because I rock, it's got nothing to do with what I eat... and what I eat has nothing to do with anything.

No comments: