Thursday 21 April 2011

Skincare

I am an utter skincare whore.

Skincare is something which interests me, as I think it says a lot about a person. How and to what extent we look after our face reveals how vain, conscientious and committed we are. It is also something which people don't really discuss. I suppose most people just don't find it interesting, or even don't think of it at all.

My concern with skincare is inherited from my mum, who used the entire Liz Earle range for about a million years, and used to literally squeal with joy when new stuff was delivered. I started using it when I was about 16. After 2 separate beauticians told me that I had dry skin in December, I told Liz to piss off. I have since been using: this, this, this, this, this, this and this. Twice a day, everyday. Yes, I'm a tad obsessed, but I'll tell you for why...

a) I am a creature of habit, and it's relaxing to have a routine like this.
b) It vastly improves the quality of my skin.
c) I refuse to look like a crumpled up plastic bag when I'm 40, and prevention is better than cure.
d) It smells really nice!

My mum switched to Sodashi several years ago. This stuff is so fancy they put it in bottles which block out the ultraviolet rays or some shit like that to prevent even the ingredients ageing. After visiting the website and seeing how much that clay cleanser is, I can see why she got pissed off when I used rather a lot of it once. But you know what? It ruddy works. She is about 6 years older than her sister, and people always think she's the younger one. She does not have the skin of a 50 year old, that's for sure, once some guy said he thought we were sisters, but I think he was a bit of a kiss-ass to be honest. She's no Jerry freaking Hall.

Anyway, I'm a whore because I'm considering swapping The Body Shop's stuff for Soap and Glory, which has amazing reviews everywhere and is aimed at young skin. Some people see a girl and want to ask her where she got her dress from: I see a girl and want to ask her what she uses to have such fabulous pores.

Anyway, skincare routines fascinate me because they reveal so much about people. For example, I am really rather vain, stupid, and preemptively preoccupied with my ageing face, so it's more like future vanity than anything.

No comments: