Tuesday 12 April 2011

Old Prison Food

"What did you learn from your time in the solitary cell of your mind? There were noises, distractions from anything good..."

I am currently trying to write my dissertation. It is currently impossible. However, whilst this is not the intended topic of this post, it is the reason for it, so I thought you should know.

What I don't understand is noise. Why is noise so necessary? I don't know if it's just me, but I like peace a quiet. Does that make me old or boring? I don't know, I don't care.

Surely it's not boring to want to form some thoughts of your own instead of being fed words and lyrics from a machine? The reason I like quiet is because it gives me a chance to think. If you wake up in the morning, turn the radio on as soon as you're up (or even have it as an alarm), leave the house and put your ipod on, get to where ever you're going and you're constantly bombarded with noise. Why is this desirable? It makes me feel like a robot. A really fucking stupid robot with no mind. Sometimes I put my headphones in without my ipod on just to block out noise, so I have the opportunity to think.

Of course I listen to music, I listen to a lot of music, but only at certain times. If I don't want to listen to music, I won't, there's no time when it's necessary. What's the point in having it as background noise? Then you can't do either task properly. Just because I'm walking somewhere, it doesn't mean I have to have my ipod in. Just because I'm sat on my own somewhere, doesn't mean I have to be texting frantically in case a human being tries and makes real-life contact with me.

I don't understand what everyone's sudden aversion to thinking is. Is silence unnerving? It's really sad to think there's a generation of people who dislike silence. Is life really that bad that we have to block out our thoughts or we'll go insane? Have you recently walked anywhere without your ipod in? When I was writing it was the time when I would get all my ideas. Literally, all my ideas, I had to wander around with scraps of paper in my pockets. It's like chatting shit with yourself, and it's probably the closest thing to creativity I'm going to get for a while, so I embrace it. It's nice just to have to company of your own thoughts sometimes.

No comments: