Wednesday 20 April 2011

Shakespearean

Shakespeare is so ingrained into culture that we don't even really think of these songs as Shakespearean: we just accept the different interpretations and versions of two characters signifying the epitome of tragic love. Taylor Swift seems a bit confused about the whole thing... poor little sausage, and Lou Reed places them in the sordid New York sex and drugs scene, as he does with everything.

Lou Reed - Romeo Had Juliette



"I’ll take Manhattan in a garbage bag
With Latin written on it that says:
"It’s hard to give a shit these days""

Taylor Swift - Love Story



"Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story baby just say yes"

The Killers - Romeo and Juliet




"I can't do the talk like the talk on the TV
And I can't do a love song, like the way it's meant to be
I can't do everything, but I'll do anything for you
I can't do anything 'cept be in love with you"

(I am aware Dire Straits did the original, but I prefer Flowers' voice)

No comments: