Friday 29 January 2010

Zephyr



"Can I get your hand to write on
Just a piece of leg to bite on
What am I to fly my kite on
Do you want to flash a light on
Take a look it’s on display - for you
Coming down no not today

Did you meet your fortune teller
Get it off with no propeller
Do it up it’s always stellar
What a way to finally smell her
Pick it up, but not too strong - for you
Take a piece and pass it on

Fly away on my zephyr
I feel it more than ever
And in this perfect weather
We’ll find a place together
Fly on my wind

Rebel and a liberator
Find a way to be a skater
Rev it up to levitate her
Super friendly aviator
Take a look it’s on display - for you
Coming down no not today"

... beg your pardon?

What exactly do these lyrics mean, does anyone know? I doubt it. Look at the words. Yes, they're words. As words go, there some good 'uns - but what do they mean? There is a very thin sort of meaning to these lyrics, but they're so unapparent that it's not worth mentioning.

These are all grammatically correct sentences, which could be said individually, and the concepts are a little odd, but not beyond the stretch of the imagination. Personally, I think these lyrics are awesome. There will certainly be the odd ninny who says how it doesn't make any sense so they're bad lyrics, but generally I think that people will tell you that they like these lyrics.

They're interesting, unique, you've probably never heard a song that said, "super friendly aviator" before, and maybe never knew what the word "zephyr" meant before you'd listened to this.

I'm not saying Anthony Kiedis is a modern-day genius or anything, I realise that they're not the most sophisticated lyrics, but this is an example of the thousands of awesome songs that use nonsensical lyrics to great rhythmical effect that's fun to listen to.

No comments: