Sunday 19 July 2009

Top 10 Beatles Songs

Goes without explanation really, my top ten favourite Beatles songs, in the usual Nick Hornby style. This list was probably one of the most difficult I've done, and probably the one that's most subject to change.

1. Eight Days A Week




"Ooh I need your love babe, guess you know it's true. Hope you need my love babe, just like I need you."

2. All You Need Is Love



"There's nothing you can know that isn't known. Nothing you can see that isn't shown. Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be. It's easy.
All you need is love."


3. Lovely Rita




"Lovely Rita, meter maid, nothing can come between us. When it gets dark I tow your heart away."

4. Lady Madonna



"Lady Madonna, lying on the bed, listen to the music playing in your head."


5. Eleanor Rigby




"All the lonely people, where do they all come from? All the lonely people, where do they all belong?"


6. Come Together




"He bag production he got walrus gumboot, he got Ono sideboard, he one spinal cracker, he got feet down below his knee. Hold you in his arms, yeah you can feel his disease"


7. Penny Lane




"He likes to keep his fire-engine clean. It's a clean machine."


8. The Ballad Of John And Yoko




"The newspapers said, she's gone to his head, they look just like two gurus in drag. Christ, you know it ain't easy."


9. Paperback Writer




"Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book? It took me years to write, will you take a look?"


10. A Day In The Life




"I read the news today oh, boy. Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire. And though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all. Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall."

Honourable mentions go to: Back in the USSR, Octopus' Garden, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Get Back, Can't Buy Me Love and I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

No comments: