Sunday 14 June 2009

Lovely Lovely Libraries

I've come to the conclusion that buying books is a pointless and self-indulgent process. I buy books I want to read, add them to piles of unread, half-read and books I have managed to finish which linger around my room.

I'm not one for finishing books. If I don't like it, I won't read it - I won't finish a book just so that it can be ticked off a list. Life's too short to read bad books when there are so many great ones out there.

I've decided that I will try my very hardest to not buy books in the future. The first reason being that it saves trees and consequently our grand children's lungs, which is nice and thoughtful, especially since they don't even exist yet.

However, the main reason (I don't care about their lungs that much) is that it's a waste of money! I buy books I'll never read, or even half-read and then throw out the window in disgust at the slow plot progression, hit a wandering student on their hungover little scalp: "Ahhh the pointy, pointy spine! Why did you buy the hardback you impatient and frivolous twat?!" they will scream, "Fuck you, motherfucker!" I will reply, and then probably write a blog about it. My point being that I might as well borrow these books from the library. The lovely, lovely library...

Another benefit of this is that it gives you a deadline in which to either read the book, or return it and accept that you were never really going to read it anyway: and it's free.

No comments: