Monday 30 July 2012

On Paper

If someone were to design a collaborative song and music video for you, who would be in it and doing what?

On paper, for me, a song written by Paul McCartney, performed using British Sign Language in the video by the incomparable Johnny Depp and Natalie Portman sounds like Christmas come early! 


'My Valentine' is a lovely song, which to me proves that Macca still has it. I don't think I am alone in thinking, however, that he is a songwriter perhaps best heard and not seen. As much as I think he's awesome, he irritates the living fuck out of me. Here is the video in question. 


Someone needs to tell Depp that BSL requires facial expressions - stoic and BSL just don't mix, dear. Neither do a lack of sleep and copious amounts of alcohol, judging by his face. Having said that, for someone who is nearly 50 he's still a fox, and I'd rather look at his inappropriately lacklustre sign language than Macca's smug mug. 


Despite this, it's a beautiful song and the lyrics are gorgeous.

No comments: