Thursday 28 June 2012

The Shakespeare Girls

For those who have yet to be convinced that The Spice Girls were the most ingenious band of the 90s: this is for you.


'Too Much' - The Spice Girls

Love is blind, as far as the eye can see  
Deep and meaningless, words to me  
Easy lover, I need a friend  
Road to nowhere, twist and turns but will this never end


Too much of something is bad enough  
But something's coming over me to make me wonder  
Too much of nothing is just as tough  
I need to know the way to feel to keep me satisfied

After much examination of these lyrics, I have realised that The Spice Girls were in fact highly influenced and inspired by the bard himself. Yes, Mr Shakey Shakey Shake-a-stick Shakespeare.


Evidence:


"Love is blind (and lovers can not see)" - Jessica, The Merchant of Venice (II,VI)


"Too much (of a good thing)" - Rosalind, As You Like It (V, I)

I haven't and can't be bothered to discuss any more links between the two. However, my extensive research has found that there are many, many more. So there you go... I bet you never knew a 90s girl band could be so high-brow!

No comments: